Judy A. Hayden, Ph.D. (2000), Professor of English at the University of Tampa, writes on the English seventeenth-century. She has recently published Of Love and War: The Political Voice in the Early Plays of Aphra Behn (Rodopi, 2010) and edited two collections on the intersection of science and literary discourse.
Nabil I. Matar. Ph.D. (1976), University of Cambridge, is Presidential Professor in the English Department at the University of Minnesota. He has published a trilogy on Islam and Britain in the early modern period, and his next publication is an annotated edition of a treatise by Henry Stubbe (Columbia UP, 2012).
Readers include historians of the early modern European invovlement in the Middle East and students of comparative religion and of travel literature.
"The book's value lies in the inclusion of the impressions of people coming from different religious and ethnic backgrounds, while the conclusions that can be drawn [...] can prove precious to the fields of politics, history, religion and literature." Stavros Nikolaidis in JOAS 22 (2013), 337-339.
Table of contents
1. Introduction: Pilgrims and Travelers: In Search of the ‘Holy’ in Holy Land, Judy A. Hayden and Nabil I. Matar
2. An Arabic Orthodox Account of the Holy Land, c. 1590s, Nabil I. Matar and Mohammad Asfour
3. Early Modern Russian Pilgrims in the Holy Land, Galina Yermolenko
4. Textual Truths and Lived Experience. George Sandys’ A Relation of a Journey begun an: domini 1610 and William Biddulph’s The Travels of certain Englishmen, Julia Schleck
5. Rescuing the Holy Land in Friar Jean Boucher’s Bouquet sacré composé des plus belles fleurs de la Terre sainte, Richard Coyle
6. Evliya Çelebi’s Seyahatname and the Holiness of Jerusalem, Hasan Baktir
7. Joseph Besson, French Nationalism, and Biblical Heroism in Defense of the Jesuit Missionary Enterprise in Greater Syria, 1625-1660, Mazin Tadros
8. Cornelis de Bruyn: Painter, Traveler, Curiosity Collector—Spy?”, Judy A. Hayden
9. The Sufi and the Chaplain: ‘Abl al-Ghani al-Nabulsi and Henry Maundrell, Nabil I. Matar
10. Early Modern Jewish Prayer in and for Israel, Michael Rotenberg-Schwartz
11. A Lutheran in the Holy Land: Michael Eneman’s Journey, 1711–12, Joachim Östlund
12. Conclusion, Nabil I. Matar