A QR (Quick Response) code is a specific matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by dedicated QR barcode readers and smart phones. Scanning a Brill QR code gives access to Brill titles and information. You can read more about the QR code and how you can use it for Brill titles below.
Installing a QR code scanner
In order to scan QR codes, your mobile device must have a QR code reader installed. Instructions are included below for Android and iPhone. If your mobile device uses a different operating system, you may be able to find a QR code application online or bundled with your phone.
Installation on Android
To install a QR code scanner on an Android device, follow these instructions:
1. Open the "Market" application from the Android home screen.
2. Press the search button on the Android keyboard and enter 'zxing'. Press [ENTER] to search.
3. Touch the application named "Barcode Scanner".
4. Press the Install button.
5. You will be prompted that the device requires elevated access to your device. Press the OK button to confirm.
Once the application is downloaded and installed, the scanner can be launched by selecting "Barcode Scanner" from the Android home screen.
Installation on iPhone
To install a QR code scanner on an iPhone*, follow these instructions:
1. Open the "App Store" application from the iPhone home screen.
2. Select "Search" a the bottom of the screen. Search for "Barcodes".
3. Locate the application named "Barcodes" by Christian Brunschen.
4. Touch the "Free" icon at the top of the screen. It will change to an "Install" icon.
5. Touch the "Install" icon that just appeared.
6. Enter your iTunes password when prompted.
Once the application is downloaded and installed, the scanner can be launched by selecting "Barcodes" from the iPhone home screen.