Promote Your Own Book
Working with Brill to draw attention to your publication
What you can do
There are simple things you can do to make your book more visible to your students and colleagues. Here are a few quick tips:
- Mention your new book in relevant talks. Add a PowerPoint slide at the end of relevant talks to let the audience know about your new book. Ask your Brill contact for the cover file, or copy it directly from the Brill website.
- Share a link to your book via social media. Are you active on social media? Why not post the link to your new book from brill.com through your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Academia, listserv or any other social media account? Or how about creating a Facebook page for your book?
- Add a link to your new book in your email signature. A simple link to your book on brill.com can help inform students and colleagues of your most recent publications. With very little effort, you can spread the word about your book with every email you send.
- Look for organizations in your field that send large-volume emails. Try to get your book reviewed in their email or newsletter.
- Create a personal website. Promote your research and publications with a simple personal website.
- Wikipedia. Write a Wikipedia article about your scholarship or your subject specialization. Include all relevant published work with links. Many scholars already have a Wikipedia entry, so why not you!
What Brill can do for you
As your publisher, Brill already promotes your book to the scholarly market in various ways, including book reviews, email newsletters, catalogs, advertising, and social media. Brill will immediately send offers for review copies to the journals in our review lists after your book is published. Journals may also request review copies via email@example.com. Requests for review copies, unless in response to an offer made by the press, are at the acquisitions editor’s discretion.
With your help, we can reach an even wider audience and further spread the word about your latest publication:
- Conferences: let us know about any important, relevant conferences in your field and we will try to send flyers and/or a display copy of your book to the organization. You can also indicate this in advance in our Authors Questionnaire, which you will receive from the publisher after acceptance of your manuscript.
- Lectures: If you are giving a speech or lecture, let us know and we will advertise for you via our social media channels. This is a great opportunity to mention your book to a large audience of your peers.
- Media: If you are mentioned in, or if you are publishing an article in a medium that is generally accessible--for example, an online newspaper, journal, newsletter, or radio interview--please let us know and we will put advertise it on our social media channels. The same applies for reviews, nominations and awards.