Encyclopaedia Islamica Online
Edited by Wilferd Madelung and Farhad Daftary
Encyclopaedia Islamica is a projected 16-volume publication, consisting of an abridged and edited translation of the Persian Dāʾirat al-Maʿārif-i Buzurg-i Islāmī, one of the most comprehensive sources on Islam and the Muslim world. One unique feature of this work of reference lies in the attention it gives to Shiʿi Islam and its rich and diverse heritage, which makes it complementary to other encyclopedias. In addition to providing entries on important themes, subjects and personages in Islam generally, it offers the Western reader an opportunity to appreciate the various dimensions of Shiʿi Islam, the Persian contribution to Islamic civilization, and the spiritual dimensions of the Islamic tradition.
Encyclopaedia Islamica Online is automatically updated whenever a new volume has been published. New content will be added every year in alphabetical order. The project started with the letter A in 2008 and is expected to be completed in 2023.
Encyclopaedia Islamica Online is also available in print. Visit www.brill.com for more information.
Features and Benefits
- Abridged and edited translation of the Persian Dāʾirat al-Maʿārif-i Buzurg-i Islāmī
- Special and in-depth attention to Shiʿi Islam
- Written by Iranian scholars and translated by the well established Ismaili Institute
- Yearly updates with alphabetized entries, equivalent of approximately 300,000 words per year
- Complementary to other encyclopedias- Records included in the database cover almost 100 years of publications on the world of Islam
- Open Url (Uniform Resource Locator) which enables users to easily find a copy of a resource that they would be allowed to access