Book History Online
Editor: Andrew Pettegree, University of St Andrews
Book History Online (BHO) is the international bibliography in the field of book and library history. It provides a comprehensive survey of all scholarly publications written from a historical perspective. Included are monographs, articles and reviews dealing with the history of the printed book, its arts, crafts, techniques and equipment, its economic, social and cultural environment, as well as its production, distribution, preservation and description. In particular, BHO contains information on topics such as papermaking, bookbinding, book illustration, type design, typefounding, bibliophily, book collecting, libraries and individuals.
Published in partnership with the University of St Andrews and the Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, and Publishing (SHARP)
- Access to nearly 120,000 records.
- Logging scholarly publications from the late 19th century until today.
- Entries ordered by subject, country or period.
- Covering over 40 languages (predominantly German, English, French and Dutch).
- Search by title, author, keyword, language and more.
- Personal tools include save searches, search alerts and exporting tools.
- Updated regularly.
BHO is the online continuation of the Annual Bibliography of the History of the Printed Book and Libraries (ABHB), initially edited by Hendrik D.L. Vervliet and subsequently by the Department of Special Collections of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek (The Hague). The first volume was published in 1970.