Bibliography of Arabic Books Online
Editorial Board: Aida Nosseir, Geoffrey Roper, Arnoud Vrolijk, William J. Kopycki.
The Bibliography of Arabic Books Online (BABO) aims to become a comprehensive bibliographic database containing information about virtually all books published in Arabic before 1960. BABO contains over 80,000 bibliographical records from the National Library in Egypt, the British Library and the Library of Congress. BABO will include Name Authority Files (NAFs) which list all the spellings variants of authors’ names found in the database. This will be an invaluable finding aid for end-users of BABO, and a practical reference for librarians cataloguing Arabic titles. For creating the Name Authority File, the following resources have been used:
- Nosseir (Arabic Books Published in Egypt before 1956)
- Egyptian national bibliography - al-Nashra al-misriyya lil-matbu’at
- Carl Brockelmann - Geschichte der Arabischen Litteratur
The spellings found in The Encyclopaedia of Islam have also been added..
Features and Benefits
- Over 60,000 bibliographical records
- Includes authority files for Arabic names
- Searchable in English, transliterated Arabic, and in Arabic script
- Full MARC-21 and Library Card records are included