Carla M. Buckley is a Research Fellow at the Human Rights Law Centre, University of Nottingham, and Associate Editor of the Human Rights Law Review. She is co-author (with David Harris, Michael O'Boyle and Ed Bates) of Harris, O’Boyle & Warbrick: Law of the European Convention on Human Rights (3rd ed, Oxford University Press, 2014).
Alice Donald, Ph.D., is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Law and Politics at Middlesex University. Her current research focuses on the implementation of human rights judgments. She is co-author (with Philip Leach) of Parliaments and the European Court of Human Rights (Oxford University Press, 2016).
Philip Leach is Professor of Human Rights Law at Middlesex University and Director of the European Human Rights Advocacy Centre (EHRAC). He researches and publishes widely in the field of international human rights law.
Students, academics, legal practitioners, and non-governmental organisations with an interest in international law, legal theory and international relations, especially in the human rights field.
Table of contents
Preface: International Tribunals and the Pursuance of Jurisprudential Harmonisation in their Common Mission of Realisation of Justice Judge Antônio Cançado Trindade;
Contributors; Abbreviations; List of instruments; Introduction
PART I - RIGHTS
1. The Duty to Investigate Right to Life Violations across Three Regional Systems: Harmonisation or Fragmentation of International Human Rights Law? Philip Leach, Rachel Murray and Clara Sandoval;
2. The Death Penalty as Addressed by Regional and International Human Rights Bodies: Exploring Jurisprudential Cross-Fertilisation and Harmonisation Chloe Cheeseman;
3. International Trends in the Recognition of Abortion Rights Elizabeth Wicks;
4. The European Court of Human Rights’ Recourse to External Legal Materials When Interpreting and Applying the Right to Private Life Alastair Mowbray;
5. Minority Sexual Orientation as a Challenge to the Harmonised Interpretation of International Human Rights Law Frans Viljoen;
6. Concepts of Substantive Gender Equality: Looking for Coherence among the Regional and International Perspectives Magdalena Forowicz;
7. Judges of the World, United? Collective Aspects of the Right to Work in Regional Human Rights Systems Rory O’Connell;
8. The Influence of International Human Rights Law on the Right to Health Jurisprudence of the European Region Jacinta Miller;
9. Is the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination the De Facto Minority Rights Treaty? David Keane and Joshua Castellino;
10. Children’s Rights under Regional Human Rights Law: A Tale of Harmonisation? Aoife Nolan and Ursula Kilkelly;
PART II - THEMES
11. Affording States a Margin of Appreciation: Comparing the European Court of Human Rights and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights
12. Human Rights Bodies and International Humanitarian Law: Common but Differentiated Approaches Larissa van den Herik and Helen Duffy;
13. The Use Made by the Organs of the European Convention on Human Rights of Reference to the Views of Other Human Rights Bodies in Addressing the Scope of the Extraterritorial Applicability of the Convention Françoise J. Hampson;
14. State Obligations with Regard to the Extraterritorial Activities of Companies Domiciled on their Territories Nadia Bernaz;
15. Inherent and Implied Powers of Regional Human Rights Tribunals Dinah Shelton;
PART III – SYSTEMS
16. International Human Rights Law: Towards Pluralism or Harmony? The Opportunities and Challenges of Coexistence: The View from the UN Treaty Bodies Simon Walker;
17. Co-Existence and Confidentiality: The Experience of the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture Malcolm D. Evans;
18. Human Rights through the Backdoor: The Contribution of Special Procedures to the Normative Coherence and Contradictions of International Human Rights Law Elvira Domínguez-Redondo;
19. A European Respect for the Opinions of Mankind? Michael O’Boyle;
Appendix 1 Harmonising the Jurisprudence of Regional and International Human Rights Bodies: A Literature Review;