Bruce Burson is a Senior Member of the New Zealand Immigration and Protection Tribunal and has issued many of its leading decisions in relation to the Refugee Convention.
David James Cantor, PhD (2010), is a Reader in International Human Rights Law and the Director of the Refugee Law Initiative at the School of Advanced Study, University of London.
All interested in refugee law and/or human rights law, including academics, post-graduate students, lawyers, judges and those working in refugee NGOs and international organisations.
Table of contents
Notes on Contributors;
1. Introduction: Interpreting the Refugee Definition via Human Rights Standards Bruce Burson and David James Cantor;
2. Give Way to the Right: The Evolving Use of Human Rights in New Zealand Refugee Status Determination Bruce Burson;
3. Island Nation: The Impact of International Human Rights Law on Australian Refugee Law Linda J. Kirk;
4. The Human Rights Bases of Refugee Protection in Canada James C. Simeon;
5. International Human Rights and US Refugee Law: Synergies and Contradictions Deborah Anker and Josh Vittor;
6. International Human Rights and Refugee Law: The United Kingdom Raza Husain;
7. Refugee Law Jurisprudence from Germany and Human Rights: Cutting Edge or Chilling Effect? Roland Bank;
8. The Search of the Outer Edges of Non-refoulement in Europe: Exceptionality and Flagrant Breaches Cathryn Costello;
9. Human Rights in Refugee Protection in Brazil Liliana Lyra Jubilut, Camila Sombra Muiños de Andrade and Camila Marques Gilberto;
10. Economic Migrant or Person in Need of Protection? Socio-Economic Rights and Persecution in International Refugee Law Michelle Foster;
11. An Enabling Interpretation of the Refugee Convention: Determination of Refugee Status in Light of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) Andreas Dimopoulos;
12. The Right to Refugee Status and the Internal Protection Alternative: What does the Law Say? Jessica Schultz and Terje Einarsen;
13. [En]gendering International Refugee Protection: Are We There Yet? Heaven Crawley;
14. Defining Refugees: Persecution, Surrogacy and the Human Rights Paradigm David James Cantor;
15. Selected Bibliography;