Carla Risseeuw, anthropologist (PhD Nijmegen 1988), is emeritus Professor Cross-Cultural Gender Studies, Leiden University. She published on British colonial history in Sri Lanka, gender, family, friendship and ageing in South Asia, East Africa, and Western Europe (together with Indian colleagues), and made several ethnographic films.
Marlein van Raalte (PhD Leiden, 1986) is lecturer in Ancient Greek Language and Literature at Leiden University. She published on Greek metre, wrote a commentary on Theophrastus¹ Metaphysics and co-edited the volume Protagoras of Abdera: The Man, His Measure (Brill, 2013).
Anyone interested in the concept of friendship, from a historical, philosophical, anthropological, and social point of view.
Table of contents
SECTION 1: Classical Asian Sources and Traditions
1. Ping Wang: The Chinese Concept of Friendship: Confucian Ethics and the Literati Narratives of Pre-modern China.
2. Ranjini Obeyesekere: The Concept of Friendship in the Jātaka Tales.
SECTION 2: Western/European Traditions
3. Tazuko van Berkel: Friendship After Money: The Case of Classical Greece.
4. Albert Joosse: The Road To Wisdom: A New Conceptualization of Friendship in Fourth-Century Athens.
5. Allan Silver: Historical Moments of Friendship Ideals: David & Jonathan, Montaigne, Adam Smith.
6. Adam Sutcliffe: Friendship in the European Enlightenment: The Rationalization of Intimacy?
SECTION 3: Friendship in Contemporary East and West
7. Wei-cheng Chu: The Utility of ‘Translated’ Friendship for the Sinophone World: Past and Present.
8. Kanako Akaeda: Intimate Relationships between Women as Romantic Love in Modern Japan.
9. Andrew Lambert: Impartiality, Close Friendships and the Confucian Tradition.
10. Nita Kumar: The Performance of Friendship in Contemporary India.
11. Panitee Brown Suksomboon: Shades of Thai Friendship among Thai Migrant Women in the Netherlands.
12. Carla Risseeuw: On Family, Friendship and the Need for ‘Cultural Fuss.’ Changing Trajectories of Family and Friendship in the Netherlands.
13. Natascha Gruver: Civil Friendship: A Proposal for Legal Bonds on Friendship and Care.