Thomas A. Reuter, Ph.D. (1996), Australian National University, is a Professor at the Asian Institute at the University of Melbourne. He is the Chair of the World Council of Anthropological Associations, and has published eight books including Custodians of the Sacred Mountains, Hawaii, 2002.
Alexander Horstmann, Ph.D. (2000), University of Bielefeld, is Associate Professor in Social Anthropology at RILCA, Mahidol University and Senior Research Partner at Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Göttingen, Germany. He is co-editor of the journal Conflict and Society: Advances in Research, and has published four books and numerous articles in international journals.
All interested in contemporary Asian societies, the impact of globalisation, and the relationship between religious movements and societal change.
Table of contents
1. Religious and Cultural Revitalization: A Post-Modern Phenomenon? - Thomas Reuter and Alexander Horstmann
2. An Ancient Temple and a New King: Revitalisation, Ritual and Politics in the Highlands of Bali - Thomas Reuter
3. Cultural Solutions to Religious Conflicts? The Revival of Tradition in the Moluccas, Eastern Indonesia - Birgit Bräuchler
4. Negotiating Charisma: The Social Dimension of Philippine Crucifixion Rituals - Peter Bräunlein
5. Performing Multi-Religious Ritual in Southern Thailand: Polyphony, Contestation, and Transgression - Alexander Horstmann
6. A Mood of Crisis: Balinese Ritual Culture Between Creolization and Criticism - Annette Hornbacher
7. Climate Change and Religion in Southeast Asia: Steps Towards Evolutionary Learning - Arthur Saniotis
8. Invisible Blood: Ritual as Information Processing in Laos - Guido Sprenger
9. Khmer Spirits, Chinese Bodies: Chinese Spirit Mediums and Spirit Possession Rituals in Contemporary Cambodia - Erik W. Davis
10. Modernist Islam and Agricultural Rituals in Buton - Blair Palmer
11. Spirits and Citizens: The Politics of Religious Difference in Indonesia - Daromir Rudnyckyj
12. God is the Greatest: Multiple Forms of Muslim Religiosity in Peninsular Malaysia - Gerhard Hoffstaedter
13. Fire and Water: Ritual Innovation, Tourism, and Spontaneous Religiosity in Hat Yai, Southern Thailand - Jovan Maud
14. From Party Bureaucrat to Ritual Expert: The Role of the Officiator in Chinese Funeral Ceremonies - Shaoming Zhou