Born in Cracow (Poland). A pianist and a philosopher (titular professor). She is the author of seven books (i.a. Kazimierz Twardowski. Die Wiener Jahre, Springer 2011; Theory of Questions, Rodopi 2011) and a few dozen of articles in logical semiotics, methodology, ontology, history of Polish philosophy, and musicology.
Born in Puchaczów (Poland) A pianist and a philosopher (titular professor). He is the author of many books (among others: From the Viewpoint of the Lvov-Warsaw School, Rodopi 2003; Polish Analytical Philosophy, Semper 2009; Being and Duty, Copernicus Center Press 2013) and a few hundred papers of various domains of philosophy.
Table of contents
Anna Brożek and Jacek Jadacki, Editorial Foreword.
1. On the Need to Philosophize.
2. On the Meaning of the History of Science for Philosophy.
3. On Duality in the Aspect of Being and Cognition
and on the Tendency to Overcome this Duality as the Basis for Philosophical Trends and Standpoints.
4. A Few Remarks on Cognitive Values.
5. Is Intersubjective Similarity of Sensory Impressions a Necessary Assumption in Natural Sciences?
6. Irrationalism and Scientific Cognition.
7. Conventionalism and Relativism.
8. Skepticism and Agnosticism in Contemporary Epistemology.
9. On the Kinds of Skepticism.
10. Philosophical Skepticism and the Scientific Method.
11. On Some Methods of Justifying Sentences about Future Events.
12. A Few Remarks on Reasoning by Analogy.
13. Laws of Physics and the Postulate of Truthfulness of Scientific Statements.
14. On Prospective Definitions.
15. Logical Division and Definition.
GRAMMAR AND LOGIC
16. Some Notions of Grammar in View of Logic.
17. On Semiotic Conventions.
19. On the Philosophy of Proper Names .
20. Regarding the So-Called Empty Names.
21. On the Semantics of Adjectives.
22. On the Semantics of Conditional Sentences.
23. The Conception of Language and Truth.
24. On Namelessness.
25. Silence as an Expression and as a Value
26. On the Semiotic Functions of Silence.
27. On the Notion of Understanding.
28. When I Think of the Word “Freedom”.
Anna Brożek and Jacek Jadacki, Editorial Afterword: Izydora Dąmbska – A Steadfast Thinker.