Wilferd Madelung (Ph.D. Hamburg) is Laudian Professor of Arabic, University of Oxford (emeritus). He has made significant contributions to scholarship on the early history of Islam and on religious movements in medieval Islam, including Studies in Medieval Muslim Thought and History (Ashgate Variorum, 2013). With Farhad Daftary, he is the editor of Brill’s Encyclopaedia Islamica.
Abdulrahman al-Salimi (Ph.D. Durham) is the editor in chief of the Omani journal al-Tafahom. He has published on Omani studies and early Islamic theology. With Michael Jansen, he is the editor of Portugal in the Sea of Oman. Religion and Politics (Philipp von Zabern, 2012).
Academic Libraries, all scholars and students interested in Islamic rational theology and early Muslim intellectual history.
"As interest in the Ibāḍiyya continues to grow, the need for reliably edited Ibāḍī sources increases. Following on their earlier publication of the works of the early Omani Ibāḍī jurist, theologian and scholar Abū al-Mundhir Bashīr b. Muḥammad b. Maḥbūb (Early Ibāḍī Literature, Weisbaden, 2011) Drs. al-Salimi and Madelung’s new preparation of al-Fazārī’s kalām texts are a welcome addition to the growing library of early Ibāḍī sources. In addition, such a large collection of early kalām materials illumines in significant ways not only the development of Ibāḍī thought, but the progression of early Islamic theology in general. It is to be hoped that more scholars will follow in the footsteps of the editors, bringing the truly vast and important corpus of Ibāḍī texts to ever wider audiences."
Adam R. Gaiser, Florida State University
"Der Band – und namentlich die Typographie des arabischen Teils – sind sehr ansprechend gestaltet".
Jan Thiele in Wiener Zeitschrift für die Kunde des Morgenlandes, vol. 106/2016
Table of contents
1. Kitāb al-Qadar (Book of Predetermination)
2. Kitāb fī l-radd ‘alā Ibn ‘Umayr (Book on Refutation of Ibn ‘Umayr)
3. Kitāb al-radd ‘alā al-Mujassima (Book of Refutation of the Corporalists)
4. Kitāb al-Futyā (Book of Legal Opinion)
5. Kitāb al-Tawḥīd fī ma‘rifat Allāh (Book of Monotheism in the Recognition of God)
6. Kitāb fī man raja‘a ‘an ‘ilmih wa-fāraqa al-nabī wa-huwa ‘alā dīnih (Book about Whoever Reneges on his Knowledge and Departs from the Prophet while remaining in his Religion)