Eithne B. Carlin, Ph.D. (1992) in General and African Linguistics, University of Cologne, is senior lecturer at Leiden University. She has published extensively on the Amerindian languages of the Guianas, including A Grammar of Trio, a Cariban Language of Suriname (Peter Lang, 2004).
Simon van de Kerke, Ph.D. (1996) in General Linguistics, University of Amsterdam, is senior lecturer at Leiden University. He is specialized in indigenous languages of Bolivia and has been editor of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America (ILLA) series since 2000.
All scholars of the languages, cultures and prehistory of Meso and South America, and the Caribbean. Historical and descriptive linguists, sociolinguists, archaeologists and those interested in the pictorial writing systems of Meso America.
Table of contents
Bibliography of Willem F.H. Adelaar
HISTORICAL COMPARATIVE LINGUISTICS OF SOUTH AMERICA
1. Linguistic Reconstruction of Elements of Prehistoric Tupi Culture - Aryon Dall’Igna Rodrigues
2. Problems of Distinguishing Nominal Compounding from Syntactic and Noun Categorization Devices in
Tupi-Guarani Languages - Wolf Dietrich
ARCHAEOLOGY AND LINGUISTICS OF MESO-AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN
3. Preposed Phonetic Complements in Maya Hieroglyphic Writing - Nikolai Grube
4. Mixtec Cultural Vocabulary and Pictorial Writing - Maarten E.R.G.N. Jansen and Gabina Aurora Pérez Jiménez
5. Unspecified Arguments, Predicates, and Events in Nahuatl - Michel Launey
6. The Ever-Dynamic Caribbean: Exploring New Approaches to Unraveling Social Networks in the Pre-Colonial and Early Colonial Periods - Corinne L. Hofman and Eithne B. Carlin
7. ‘Why do they steal our phonemes?’ Inventing the Survival of the Cañari Language (Ecuador) - Rosaleen Howard
8. Lenguas e Ídentidades Étnicas - Xavier Albó
MORPHOPHONOLOGY AND MORPHOSYNTAX
9. Sobre el Morfo Vacío -ni del Quechua - Rodolfo Cerrón-Palomino
10. The Copula in Ecuadorian Quechua - Pieter Muysken
11. O ‘Caduco’ e o ‘Frustrativo’ nas Línguas Baniwa do Içana e Nheengatu (Alto Rio Negro, Brasil) - Gerald Taylor
12. Reflexivity and Reciprocity in Tehuelche and Selknam (Chon family) - Ana Fernández Garay
13. Gender, Noun Class and Language Obsolescence: The Case of Paumarí - Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald
14. Word Prosody and the Distribution of Oral/Nasal Contour Consonants in Kaingang - W. Leo Wetzels
List of Contributors