Search: 2007, history, of
Results 21 - 30 of 73
Jacobine G. Oudshoorn
Using a division between substantive and formal law as the key element for understanding the applicable law in papyri, this study offers a new understanding of the distinct parts Roman and local law played in the legal reality of second-century Arabia.
The publication of this new edition of Elias Bickerman's acclaimed Studies in Jewish and Christian History along with his famous book, The God of the Maccabees, brings Bickerman's central studies on ancient Judaism and early Christianity to a new generation of students and scholars.
Sami G. Massoud
This book examines in a detailed and comprehensive manner, the genealogy of the historiography of the Early Mamluk Circassian period and provides a source-critical assesment of the sources for the reign of al-Zāhir Barqūq (784-91, 792-801/1382-9, 1390-9).
Edited by Jason BeDuhn and Paul Mirecki
Through a systematic analysis of the sources, compositional structure, and apologetic and polemical strategies of the early fourth century Acts of Archelaus (Acta Archelai), this volume explores inter-religious contact, conflict, and comprehension in the encounter between Christianity and ...
edited by Paul N. Anderson, Felix Just, S.J., and Tom Thatcher
Paperback edition is available from the Society of Biblical Literature (www.sbl-site.org)
The jeune école represents a school of maritime strategy dealing with the dilemmas of the weaker power. This book presents a new interpretation of the jeune école based on hitherto unexploited unpublished primary sources.
Edited by Lennart Bes, Edda Frankot and Hanno Brand
Covering almost 1000 archival collections in all countries around the Baltic Sea (including the Netherlands), this guide provides an essential tool for scholars studying the region's maritime, economic and diplomatic relations between 1450 and 1800.
Joseph E. Lowry
This book offers a comprehensive reinterpretation of Shāfiʿī’s Risāla and shows how Shāfiʿī sought to formulate an all-embracing hermeneutic that portrays the law as a tightly interlocking structure organized around defined interactions of the Qurʾān and the Sunna.
Allison D. Fizzard
A case study examining the history of a house of English Augustinian canons, this book reveals the ways in which Plympton Priory formed connections with the laity, the episcopacy, the secular clergy, and the Crown in the late Middle Ages.
This book looks at the emergence of the cult of St Magnús, earl of Orkney (d. 1117), and the literary corpus composed in his honour. Both aspects are examined from a wider Scandinavian and European perspective.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (3)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (2)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (5)
- Asian Studies - China (4)
- Asian Studies - History (1)
- Asian Studies - Japan (3)
- Asian Studies - Social Sciences (1)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (2)
- Asian Studies - South East Asia (1)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (2)
- Biblical Studies - Dead Sea Scrolls (1)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (1)
- Biblical Studies - Gnosticism & Manichaeism (1)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (1)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (1)
- Classical Studies - General (1)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (2)
- History - Early Modern History (5)
- History - General (2)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (3)
- History - Intellectual History (2)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (4)
- History - Medieval History (5)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Human Rights (1)
- Jewish Studies - General (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (3)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (3)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (2)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Critical Social Sciences (4)