Results 1 - 10 of 50
Edited by Maarten Delbeke & Minou Schraven
Bringing together contributions from art history, architectural history, historiography and history of law, this volume is the first comprehensive exploration of the manifold meanings of foundation, dedication and consecration rituals and narratives in early modern culture.
Edited by Celeste Brusati, Karl Enenkel and Walter Melion
This book examines scriptural authority and its textual and visual instruments, asking how words and images interacted to represent and by representing to constitute authority, both sacred and secular, in Northern Europe between 1400 and 1700.
Edited by Peter Edwards, Karl Enenkel, and Elspeth Graham
In spite of the importance of horses to Western society until comparatively recent times, scholars have paid very little attention to them. This volume helps to redress the balance, emphasizing their iconic appeal as well as their utilitarian functions.
Joachim Karl Bautze
This booklet publishes for the first time the most intact as well as the probably most attractive North-Indian terracottas from the 3rd century B.C. to the 1st century A.D. The survey covers figurines, moulded plaques and so called 'toy-carts' from outstanding Indian, American and European ...
Gene R. Thursby
Sixty-six photographs that depict traditional sites and places of worship, major festivals, rites of the life cycle, and attempts by artists to represent great religious teachers and heroic martyrs provide the basis for this study of contemporary religious practices of Sikhs in Delhi and the ...
K.R. van Kooij
M.N. van Loon
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Religion (9)
- Art and Architecture - Art History (1)
- Asian Studies - Religion (10)
- Classical Studies - Religion (1)
- History - Early Modern History (2)
- Jewish Studies - General (3)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (1)
- Philosophy - General (1)
- Religious Studies - Comparative Religion & Religious Studies (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (19)
- Humanities (50)
- BRILL (50)