Results 1 - 10 of 575
How religious practices are reproduced has become a major theoretical issue. This work examines data on Nuaulu ritual performances collected over a 30 year period, comparing different categories of event in terms of frequency and periodicity. It seeks to identify the influencing factors and the ...
Max M. Richter
Musical Worlds in Yogyakarta addresses themes of social identity and power, counterpoising Pierre Bourdieu’s theories on class, gender and nation with the author’s alternative perspectives of inter-group social capital, physicality and grounded cosmopolitanism. The author argues that Yogyakarta ...
When the Indonesian New Order regime fell in 1998, regional politics with strong ethnic content emerged across the country. In West Kalimantan the predominant feature was particularly that of the Dayaks. This surge, however, was not unprecedented. After centuries of occupying a subordinate place ...
Katinka van Heeren
This highly informative book explores the world of Post-Soeharto Indonesian audio-visual media in the exiting era of Reform. From a multidisciplinary approach it considers a wide variety of issues such as mainstream and alternative film practices, ceremonial and independent film festivals, film ...
Healers on the Colonial Market is one of the few studies on the Dutch East Indies from a postcolonial perspective. It provides an enthralling addition to research on both the history of the Dutch East Indies and the history of colonial medicine.
Set in West Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo, this study explores the shifting relationships between border communities and the state along the political border with East Malaysia. The book rests on the premise that remote border regions offer an exciting study arena that can tell us important ...
Edited by Jennifer Lindsay & Maya H.T. Liem
This volume brings together new scholarship by Indonesian and non-Indonesian scholars on Indonesia’s cultural history from 1950-1965. During the new nation’s first decade and a half, Indonesia’s links with the world and its sense of nationhood were vigorously negotiated on the cultural front.
European traders and soldiers established a foothold on Timor in the course of the seventeenth century, motivated by the quest for the commercially vital sandalwood and the intense competition between the Dutch and the Portuguese. Lords of the Land, Lords of the Sea focuses on two centuries of ...
Edited by Kees van Dijk & Jean Gelman Taylor
Recent years have shown an increase in interest in the study of cleanliness from a historical and sociological perspective. Many of such studies on bathing and washing, on keeping the body and the streets clean, and on filth and the combat of dirt, focus on Europe. In Cleanliness and Culture ...
I. Nyoman Darma Putra
A Literary mirror is the first English-language work to comprehensively analyse Indonesian-language literature from Bali from a literary and cultural viewpoint. It covers the period from 1920 to 2000. This is an extremely rich field for research into the ways Balinese view their culture and how ...
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (3)
- African Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Egyptology (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - General (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Religion (1)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (15)
- Asian Studies - China (92)
- Asian Studies - East Asia (18)
- Asian Studies - General (96)
- Asian Studies - Japan (25)
- Asian Studies - Japanese Art (2)
- Asian Studies - Korea (2)
- Asian Studies - Pacific (8)
- Asian Studies - Religion (5)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (149)
- Asian Studies - South East Asia (61)
- History - Book History (5)
- History - General (1)
- History - Modern History (8)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Human Rights (1)
- International Law - Public International Law (12)
- Language and Linguistics - Other Languages (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (16)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (3)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Iran & Persian Studies (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (18)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - Area Studies (2)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - Economics & Statistics (3)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - General (3)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - History (1)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - Human Rights & Law (10)
- Social Sciences - African Studies (3)
- Social Sciences - Asian Studies (2)
- Social Sciences - Sociology & Anthropology (1)