Search: BRILL, 2001
Results 1 - 10 of 302
Edited by Ian Worthington and John Miles Foley
This volume deals with aspects of orality and oral traditions in ancient Greece, specifically literature, rhetoric and society, and philosophy, and is a selection of refereed papers from the fourth biennial Orality and Literacy in Ancient Greece conference, held at the University of Missouri ...
This volume is an edition of the poetical and grammatical fragments of Philitas of Cos, the exemplary founder of erudite Hellenistic poetry. The Introduction places Philitas in his literary context; the commentary elucidates manipulation of language and metre and Philitas’ influence on the ...
A pioneering comparative and multidisciplinary study of the relationship between disease and demography, this book breaks new ground in reconstructing the evolution of mortality patterns, age structure and population density in premodern Egypt.
The book interprets all seven Sophoclean tragedies (5th century B.C.) as a whole, focussing on the aspect of individuals being guilty of not reaching proper conclusions about their own selves and their situation, although they possess the means and ability to do so.
Guillermo Galán Vioque
This is the first comprehensive commentary –line by line and word by word- on the seventh book of the epigrams of Martial. Literary, linguistic and metrical matters are examined in depth, and special attention is paid to the relationship with the poet’s other books and with the rest of Greek and ...
Edited by Cecil W. Wooten
This is a collection of original essays, written by authorities in the field, on aspects of ancient rhetoric and oratory ranging from theoretical considerations of rhetorical theory to analysis of actual speeches.
Edited by D.S. Levene and D.P. Nelis
In this book seventeen leading scholars examine the interaction between historiography and poetry in the Augustan age: how poets drew on — or reacted against — historians’ presentation of the world, and how, conversely, historians transformed poetic themes for their own ends.
The first commentary on Isocrates’ Busiris explores the work’s contribution to rhetorical theory, its parody of Plato’s Republic, and its strategies in advertising Isocratean political rhetoric as a middle way between sophistic education and the abstruse studies of Plato’s Academy.
Michael N. Fried and Sabetai Unguru
This volume contains a historically sensitive analysis and interpretation of Apollonius of Perga's Conica, one of the greatest works of Hellenistic mathematics. It provides a long overdue alternative to H. G. Zeuthen's Die Lehre von den Kogelschnitten im Altertum.
This volume provides a new and carefully-researched text for three Roman verse epistles, and sheds new light on Ovidian innovation, the ancient epistolary form, and the manipulation of classical myth.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (4)
- American Studies - General (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (3)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Authors, Texts, Literature (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - General (2)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - History (6)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Religion (2)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (4)
- Asian Studies - China (5)
- Asian Studies - General (7)
- Asian Studies - History (4)
- Asian Studies - Japan (4)
- Asian Studies - Religion (1)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (6)
- Asian Studies - South East Asia (2)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (6)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (9)
- Biblical Studies - General (7)
- Biblical Studies - Gnosticism & Manichaeism (3)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (21)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (15)
- Biology - Biology & Environmental Sciences (9)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (5)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Philosophy (6)
- Classical Studies - General (6)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (22)
- Classical Studies - Religion (1)
- History - Early Modern History (17)
- History - General (4)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (4)
- History - Intellectual History (5)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (3)
- History - Medieval History (16)
- History - Modern History (2)
- Jewish Studies - General (5)
- Language and Linguistics - Dictionaries & Reference Works (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Discourse Analysis & Sociolinguistics (12)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (11)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (5)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (6)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (5)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (2)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (15)
- Religious Studies - Religion in Antiquity (3)
- Social Sciences - Asian Studies (1)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (4)
- Social Sciences - Sociology & Anthropology (1)
- Theology and Missiology - General (7)
- Biblical Studies (61)
- History (51)
- Classical Studies (40)
- Asian Studies (33)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies (33)
- Religious Studies (18)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt (14)
- Language and Linguistics (13)
- Biology (9)
- Theology and Missiology (7)
- Social Sciences (6)
- Jewish Studies (5)
- African Studies (4)
- American Studies (1)