Search: BRILL, 1998
Results 1 - 10 of 254
Michael von Albrecht
The reader is invited to study a choice of typical texts, from the beginnings to the end of Antiquity, and to discover intellectual relationships between different epochs, cultures, literary genres, linguistic and literary patterns.
Edited by E. Anne Mackay
This volume presents essays by leading scholars on the nature of orality as represented by the Homeric poems, and the effect of the oral way of thinking on the subsequent literate and literary development of ancient Greek and Roman culture.
This collection of 11 studies provides a new discussion of Lucretius' History of the Human Mankind and of other topics (Lucretius' explanation of sleep, dreams and optical illusions) in relationship to other philosophical and scientific doctrines of Antiquity.
These papers on Greek literature, historiography and philosophy and on the history of classical scholarship seek to explore the consequences of the paradoxical combination of interpreting messages from a distant past and at the same time vindicating their relevance to contemporary civilization.
Compiled by Omert J. Schrier
This bibliography registers all editions, translations and studies bearing on Aristotle's Poetics and the Tractatus Coislinianus, a treatise partly based on Poetics II. Among the indices, those on passages and subjects should be particularly useful. Most Greek has been transliterated.
Edited by Mary Whitby
The 13 essays presented here shed new light on the role of panegyric in the western and eastern Roman Empire in the late antique world. The core of the volume deals with prose and verse panegyric under the Christian Roman Empire (4th-7th century)
This investigation into Athenian military authority considers both the role played by generals in the deliberative and final stages of Athens' military expeditions and the relationship which obtained between strategoi and their subordinates, colleagues, and the Athenian demos itself.
Terence J. Hunt
This book performs for the Academici Libri what P.L. Schmidt achieved for the De legibus - it studies the entire tradition of the work, including its original publication, its influence in Antiquity, the Middle Ages and Renaissance, manuscripts and printed editions.
This edition of a newly discovered Byzantine treatise of Pindaric metre discusses on the basis of the new discovery the methods and achievements of Byzantine Pindaric philology in general.
Based on extensive anthropological and historical research, this book focuses on patterns and processes of social mobility. The character of leadership in tribal society, then under the colonial bureaucracy, and later in modern Indonesia are discussed. Besides political changes, changes in ...
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - History (6)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Philosophy, Science & Medicine (2)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Religion (1)
- Asian Studies - China (5)
- Asian Studies - General (2)
- Asian Studies - History (2)
- Asian Studies - Japan (4)
- Asian Studies - Literature (2)
- Asian Studies - Religion (3)
- Asian Studies - Social Sciences (2)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (3)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (4)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (6)
- Biblical Studies - General (7)
- Biblical Studies - Gnosticism & Manichaeism (1)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (19)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (17)
- Biology - Biology & Environmental Sciences (7)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (11)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Philosophy (3)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Science & Medicine (3)
- Classical Studies - General (11)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (10)
- History - Church History (1)
- History - Early Modern History (17)
- History - General (8)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (2)
- History - Intellectual History (11)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (2)
- History - Medieval History (19)
- History - Modern History (2)
- Jewish Studies - General (7)
- Language and Linguistics - Discourse Analysis & Sociolinguistics (7)
- Language and Linguistics - Theoretical Linguistics (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (8)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (11)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (5)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (7)
- Religious Studies - Religion in Antiquity (2)
- Science - Medical Sciences (1)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - Religion (1)
- Social Sciences - African Studies (1)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Sociology & Anthropology (1)
- Theology and Missiology - General (1)
- History (62)
- Biblical Studies (54)
- Classical Studies (38)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies (29)
- Asian Studies (23)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt (9)
- Language and Linguistics (9)
- Religious Studies (9)
- Biology (7)
- Jewish Studies (7)
- Social Sciences (3)
- Science (1)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies (1)
- Theology and Missiology (1)