Search: BRILL, French
Results 1 - 10 of 299
Valéry Berlincourt, University of Geneva
Following an overview of their broader tradition, this book analyses in detail the commentaries on Statius’ Thebaid published in the 16th-17th c., with a focus on their interaction with the poem and on the various kinds of exegetical discourse they present. Après un examen d’ensemble de la ...
Danielle van Mal-Maeder
Centré sur les déclamations latines, ce livre jette un regard nouveau sur la nature littéraire de ces textes souvent sousestimés, sur leur caractère fictionnel et sur leur relation avec la poésie et le roman. Focussing on the Latin declamations, this book shines a new light on the literary ...
Edited by Marco Sgarbi, Villa I Tatti. The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies, Florence
The present volume collects seventeen case studies that characterize the various kinds of translationes of the European culture of the last two and a half millennia from ancient Greece to Rome, from the Medieval world to the Renaissance up to the Modernity.
Edited by Eric Jorink, Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands, and Dirk van Miert, Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands
This volume describes how Isaac Vossius (1618-1689) rose to fame in the fascinating world of seventeenth-century scholarship and science.
Edited by Jeanine De Landtsheer & Henk Nellen
Scylla and Charybdis offers a collection of studies on epistolary and scholarly responses to religious and political controversy in Early Modern Europe. Careful examination of key intellectual letter-writers yields new biographical information as well as a more balanced judgement on the ways ...
This collection of 11 studies provides a new discussion of Lucretius' History of the Human Mankind and of other topics (Lucretius' explanation of sleep, dreams and optical illusions) in relationship to other philosophical and scientific doctrines of Antiquity.
Edited by Laurent Bricault and Corinne Bonnet
Panthée presents a collective reflection relating to the changes affecting the Graeco-Roman Empire and its religious landscapes. Leading specialists construct a picture of practices and conceptual frames, which, in their diversity and inter-action, model a religious universe whose complexity ...
Par Stella Georgoudi, Renée Koch Piettre, et Francis Schmidt.
Le recueil compare les procédures de fabrication et d’interprétation des signes dans les sociétés polythéistes ou monothéistes de la Méditerranée ancienne. Il analyse les rites ou l’argumentation critique visant à endiguer les signes et à préserver l’initiative humaine face aux injonctions du ...
Edited by Wiep van Bunge and Hans Bots
This book contains 15 essays on the philosophy, theology and reception of Pierre Bayle, who is now generally regarded as one of the key authors of the early Enlightenment.
edited by Johannes Hahn, Stephen Emmel & Ulrich Gotter
Destruction of temples and their transformation into churches are central symbols of change in religious environment, socio-political system, and public perception in late antiquity. Archaeologists, historians, and historians of religion seek an appropriate larger perspective on the phenomenon ...
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (3)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Authors, Texts, Literature (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Egyptology (3)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - History (11)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Linguistics (2)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Philosophy, Science & Medicine (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Religion (2)
- Art and Architecture - Art History (2)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (2)
- Asian Studies - China (1)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (2)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (4)
- Biblical Studies - Dead Sea Scrolls (2)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (9)
- Biblical Studies - General (3)
- Biblical Studies - Gnosticism & Manichaeism (3)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (19)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (5)
- Biology - Biology & Environmental Sciences (1)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (6)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Philosophy (12)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Science & Medicine (8)
- Classical Studies - General (4)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (8)
- Classical Studies - Religion (1)
- History - Church History (1)
- History - Early Modern History (18)
- History - General (23)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (4)
- History - History of Warfare (2)
- History - Intellectual History (11)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (5)
- History - Medieval History (21)
- International Law - Legal History (1)
- Jewish Studies - General (2)
- Language and Linguistics - Language Documentation & Language Endangerment (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Languages of Asia & Central Asia (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (15)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (20)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Iran & Persian Studies (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Ottoman & Turkish Studies (3)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (6)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (2)
- Philosophy - General (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (7)
- Religious Studies - Religion in Antiquity (26)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)
- History (85)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies (50)
- Biblical Studies (45)
- Classical Studies (39)
- Religious Studies (33)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt (21)
- Asian Studies (5)
- African Studies (3)
- Art and Architecture (2)
- Jewish Studies (2)
- Language and Linguistics (2)
- Biology (1)
- International Law (1)
- Philosophy (1)
- Social Sciences (1)