Search: Book, 2012, history, of
Results 1 - 10 of 64
Edited by Marco Sgarbi, Villa I Tatti. The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies, Florence
The present volume collects seventeen case studies that characterize the various kinds of translationes of the European culture of the last two and a half millennia from ancient Greece to Rome, from the Medieval world to the Renaissance up to the Modernity.
Edited by Andrea Moudarres, University of California and Christiana Purdy Moudarres, University of California
This volume aims to assess the longstanding debate over the role played by the Italian Renaissance in shaping the modern Western worldview.
Edited by Sarah Mortimer, Christ Church, Oxford and John Robertson, University of Cambridge
Challenging the common assumption that religious heterodoxy was a prelude to the secularisation of thought, this volume explores the variety of relations between heterodox theology, political thought, moral and natural philosophy and historical writing in both Protestant and Catholic Europe from ...
Alexander Lee, University of Luxembourg and University of Warwick
Challenging the familiar view of Francesco Petrarca as the ‘father of humanism’, this book offers a comprehensive re-interpretation of Petrarch’s debt to the theology of St. Augustine, and advances a provocative new reading of the development of humanism in Italy.
Raingard Esser, University of Groningen
The Eighty Years’ War and the partition of the Low Countries led to the publication of numerous chorographical works on towns and regions in the Northern and Southern Netherlands. This book offers a comparison of these histories reflecting political change and promoting new identities.
Jacques T.A.G.M van Ruiten, University of Groningen
In Abraham in the Book of Jubilees Jacques van Ruiten offers a systematic analysis of one of the most important and extensive Second Temple Jewish treatments of the figure of Abraham (Jub. 11:14-23:8).
Jenny E. Pelletier
In William Ockham on Metaphysics, Jenny E. Pelletier gives an account of Ockham's concept of metaphysics as the science of being and God as it emerges sporadically throughout his philosophical and theological work.
Covering a period of about four centuries, this book demonstrates the economic and political components of the opium problem. As a mass product, opium was introduced in India and Indonesia by the Dutch in the 17th century. China suffered the most, but was also the first to get rid of the opium ...
Edited by Devorah Dimant
This book contains an exhaustive survey of past and present Qumran research, outlining its particular development in various circumstances and national contexts. For the first time, perspectives and information not recorded in any other publication are highlighted.
Edited by Bilal Orfali, American University of Beirut and Nada Saab, Lebanese American University
This work is a critical Arabic text edition of K. al-Bayāḍ wa-l-sawād min khaṣāʾiṣ ḥikam al-ʿibād fī naʿt al-murīd wa-l-murād, a substantial Sufi handbook of early Sufism by Abū l-Ḥasan ʿAlī b. al-Ḥasan al-Sīrjānī (d. ca. 470/1077).
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (2)
- African Studies - History (1)
- American Studies - Latin America (1)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (2)
- Asian Studies - China (3)
- Asian Studies - East Asia (1)
- Asian Studies - History (1)
- Asian Studies - Japan (5)
- Asian Studies - Religion (2)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (1)
- Asian Studies - Tibet (1)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (1)
- Biblical Studies - Dead Sea Scrolls (1)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (1)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (1)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (4)
- History - Book History (1)
- History - Early Modern History (7)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (2)
- History - Intellectual History (4)
- History - Medieval History (5)
- International Law - Legal History (1)
- Jewish Studies - History & Culture (2)
- Jewish Studies - Literature & Linguistics (2)
- Jewish Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Dictionaries & Reference Works (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Manuscripts & Printing (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (1)
- Philosophy - Continental Philosophy (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (3)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Critical Social Sciences (2)