Search: Book, 2007, history, of
Results 1 - 10 of 67
Edited by J. den Boeft, J.W. Drijvers, D. den Hengst and H.C. Teitler
The papers in this volume treat historical, historiographical and literary aspects of the last six books of Ammianus Marcellinus’ Res Gestae, which deal with the period between the death of Julian (363) and the Roman defeat at Hadrianople (378).
Edited by Victoria Jennings and Andrea Katsaros
Sixteen international contributors offer the first comprehensive examination of the life, works and reception of Ion of Chios, the prolific and innovative fifth century BC writer (variously prose and poetry) on classical Greek mythology, history and society.
Indigenous Indonesian Catholics increased in number from 27,000 to nearly 550,000 between 1902 and 1942. At first scattered only through Minahasa, the Kai islands and Flores, after four decades Catholic centres were established in most of the archipelago, and there was even a small but ...
Donna C. Heddle
This critical edition of a Scots translation of Ariosto's Orlando Furioso will provide an essential primary key text and a useful academic tool for tracing the development of Scottish poetry and of the influences, European and otherwise, on it.
Robert J. Wilkinson
This work exposes the eschatological timetable which propted the petition for the Antwerp Polyglot and the Christian kabbalistic motivation of the scholars who worked on the text. This tradition is then traced to the 1584 Paris edition of the Syriac New Testament.
Robert J. Wilkinson
This work shows how the first edition of the Syriac New Testament illustrates how Syriac and other Oriental languages were received in the West by Catholic Kabbalistic scholars. The contribution of Egidio da Viterbo and Guillaume Postel is emphasised.
Gwenfair Walters Adams
This volume is the first to explore the breadth of vision types in late medieval English lay spirituality. Analyzing 1000+ accounts, it proposes that visions buttressed five core dynamics (relating to purgatory, saints, demons, sacramental faith, and the Church’s authority).
In light of numerous contradictions between passages in Jubilees, this study proposes a new, literary-critical method to understand the development of the book. This analysis is significant for the interpretation of the diverse ideological and theological viewpoints found in Jubilees.
Addressing the European study of religion in the interwar-period, these proceedings tackle one of the most problematic epochs of its history. The commonplace that understanding the present requires learning from the past is particularly true, as this case well illustrates.
Edited by Ute Hüsken
This volume investigates the implications of breaking ritual rules, of failed performances and of the extinction of ritual systems. The essays thus break new ground in the comparative analysis of rituals and introduce new perspectives to ritual studies.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (3)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (2)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (5)
- Asian Studies - China (4)
- Asian Studies - History (1)
- Asian Studies - Japan (3)
- Asian Studies - Social Sciences (1)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (2)
- Asian Studies - South East Asia (1)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (2)
- Biblical Studies - Dead Sea Scrolls (1)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (1)
- Biblical Studies - Gnosticism & Manichaeism (1)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (1)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (1)
- Classical Studies - General (1)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (2)
- History - Early Modern History (3)
- History - General (1)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (3)
- History - Intellectual History (2)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (4)
- History - Medieval History (5)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Human Rights (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (3)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (3)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (2)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Critical Social Sciences (4)