Search: Book, 1997
Results 1 - 10 of 269
This is a collection of studies on the Roman Near East and Judaea, on Jewish history in the Roman period and on the Roman army in general. It includes papers on literary sources and inscriptions. Newly published material and recent studies are discussed and evaluated.
T. Otto & A. Borsboom
Developed from papers presented at the first European Colloquium on Pacific Studies this volume addresses the dynamics of contemporary Oceanic religions. In particular, the contributors investigate how indigenous populations have come to terms with the enormous impact of colonization and ...
John M. McMahon
This volume explores the literary representation of male sexual dysfunction and investigates how the natural and supernatural elements of an ancient folk medical system and the empowerment implicit in the text itself function in the Satyrica of Petronius.
Monique van Rossum-Steenbeek
This book discusses the contents, function and readership of Greek papyri containing mythical catalogues, stories of the Mythographus Homericus, and summaries of Iliad, Odyssey, tragedies, comedies, and poems of Callimachus. All the papyrus texts discussed are included.
This study explores the relationship between outmigration and gender roles in two villages in North Tapanuli, on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia.
This is the first attempt since that of Paul Vallette in 1908 to place the Latin writer Apuleius in the context of the (Greek) Second Sophistic. It also paints a larger picture of the character of belles-lettres, rhetoric, Middle Platonism, education, translation and the writing of novels during ...
John D. Grainger
The Prosopography notes all people who lived in or were concerned with the great Seleukid empire; the Gazetteer lists the places, peoples and institutions of that empire; their activites are noted, providing a unique comprehensive guide to the kingdom.
P. Ovidius Naso. Einleitung, Text und Kommentar von Theodor Heinze
This volume contains a critical edition of Ovid's epistle of Medea to Jason and of the fragments of his lost tragedy Medea, including testimonia. Introduction and commentary deal with matters of language, realia, textual and literary criticism and the question of authenticity.
Providing a fresh and original view on the major textual problems of one of the most difficult Latin authors, this study offers new insights in many exegetical and structural problems of Propertius and Roman elegy.
Edited by Mervin R. Dilts and George A. Kennedy
The works here edited and (for the first time) translated show the survival of an Aristotelian tradition in rhetoric before the revision of the subject by Hermogenes. The Anonymous' primary interest was in rhetorical theory, Apsines' in analysis of Attic oratory and in teaching declamation.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Authors, Texts, Literature (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Codicology, Papyrology & Philology (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - History (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Law (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Religion (1)
- Asian Studies - China (2)
- Asian Studies - General (1)
- Asian Studies - History (1)
- Asian Studies - Japan (3)
- Asian Studies - Religion (1)
- Asian Studies - Social Sciences (2)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (7)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (1)
- Biblical Studies - Dead Sea Scrolls (1)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (6)
- Biblical Studies - General (2)
- Biblical Studies - Gnosticism & Manichaeism (2)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (20)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (8)
- Biology - Biology & Environmental Sciences (3)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (7)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Philosophy (5)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Science & Medicine (3)
- Classical Studies - General (2)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (10)
- History - Early Modern History (10)
- History - General (10)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (2)
- History - Intellectual History (9)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (5)
- History - Medieval History (16)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Children's Rights (2)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Health Law (1)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Human Rights (17)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Humanitarian Law (1)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - International Criminal Law (5)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Refugee Law (6)
- International Law - Comparative Law (1)
- International Law - European Law (1)
- International Law - International Organizations (3)
- International Law - Law of the Sea (10)
- International Law - Private International Law (2)
- International Law - Public International Law (23)
- International Relations - International Relations (7)
- Jewish Studies - General (5)
- Language and Linguistics - Dictionaries & Reference Works (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Discourse Analysis & Sociolinguistics (4)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (12)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (6)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (7)
- Religious Studies - Religion in Antiquity (1)
- Social Sciences - African Studies (1)
- Social Sciences - Applied Social Sciences (2)
- History (52)
- Biblical Studies (40)
- International Law (40)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law (32)
- Classical Studies (27)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies (23)
- Asian Studies (17)
- Religious Studies (8)
- International Relations (7)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt (5)
- Jewish Studies (5)
- Language and Linguistics (5)
- Biology (3)
- Social Sciences (3)