Search: Middle East and Islamic Studies, Hardback
Results 1 - 10 of 789
Edited by Andreas Bandak, University of Copenhagen and Mikkel Bille, University of Copenhagen
Sainthood in Fragile States investigates how precariousness and ambiguity are embedded in saint worship. The book explores the intersections between religious and secular figures to show the role of sainthood and its contestation in the contemporary Middle East.
Édité par Nathalie Clayer, CNRS-EHESS, Paris, Alexandre Papas, CNRS, Paris, Benoît Fliche, CNRS, Paris
Through various case studies in Central Asia, throughout the Ottoman Empire, in the Balkans and in Turkey, this book dicusses the religious authority exercised by different actors and the limits, whether theological, political, social or institutional, they are confronted with. A travers ...
Josep Lluís Mateo Dieste, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
In Health and Ritual in Morocco, J. L. Mateo Dieste analyzes the many notions of the body in contemporary Morocco and shows how a rich universe of healing systems and rituals conforms to social and historical power relationships.
Edited by Anh Nga Longva and Anne Sofie Roald
Focusing on the situation of both Muslim and non-Muslim religious minorities in the Middle East, this volume offers an analysis of various strategies of resilience and accommodation from a historical as well a contemporary perspective.
edited by Ahmed Ibrahim Abushouk and Hassan Ahmed Ibrahim, IIUM
This volume addresses the question of the Hadhrami Identity in Southeast Asia from various perspectives, and investigates the patterns of the Hahdrami interaction with diverse cultures, values and beliefs in the region. Special attention is also paid to the Hadhrami local and transnational ...
Muhammad Shahrur, Translated, Edited, and with an Introduction by Andreas Christmann, University of Manchester
This is the first book-length presentation of Muhammad Shahrur's ideas in English, explaining his ideas on the need for a contemporary re-reading of the Qur'an, a reform of Islamic law and the necessity of freedom of belief in Islam, and other vital issues of Islamic thought and practice.
Edited by Meir Hatina, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
This collective volume provides an integrative historical and contemporary discussion of Sunni ʿulamaʾ in the Middle East in both an urban and a semi-tribal context.
Isabel Toral-Niehoff, Freie Universität Berlin
In al-Ḥīra. Eine arabische Kulturmetropole im spätantiken Kontext, Isabel Toral-Niehoff draws a vivid portrait of this multicultural Late Antique Arab city located in the frontier zone between Byzantium and Iran and emphasizes its significance for Arab culture and early Islam. In al-Ḥīra. Eine ...
Edited by Christoph Schumann
This volume analyzes a century of intellectual debates, political ideologies, and literary media in order to track the emergence, spread and decline of liberal thought as a response to both authoritarian rule and Westernization in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Edited by Camilla Adang, Tel Aviv University, Maribel Fierro, CSIC, Madrid and Sabine Schmidtke, Freie Universität Berlin
This volume represents the state of the art in research on the Muslim legal scholar, theologian and man of letters Ibn Ḥazm of Cordoba (d. 456/1064), who is widely regarded as one of the most brilliant minds of Islamic Spain.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (42)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Contemporary Islam (3)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (146)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Geography (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (205)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Iran & Persian Studies (6)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (86)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Mysticism (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (99)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Manuscripts & Printing (4)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Ottoman & Turkish Studies (17)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (118)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Qur'anic Studies (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Religion (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (58)
- Humanities (789)
Categories: all » Middle East and Islamic Studies
- BRILL (789)