Search: Available: Print on Demand, 2011
Results 1 - 10 of 146
Healers on the Colonial Market is one of the few studies on the Dutch East Indies from a postcolonial perspective. It provides an enthralling addition to research on both the history of the Dutch East Indies and the history of colonial medicine.
by H. S. Versnel
Abandoning monolithic approaches and embracing the possibility of inconsistencies and incongruities in Greek thought, behaviour, and culture, this book investigates how ancient Greeks could validate the complementarity of dissonant, if not contradictory, representations in e.g.polytheism, ...
by Rangar Cline
Ancient Angels brings together inscriptional, literary, and archaeological evidence for angels (angeloi) in Roman-era religions. The book examines Roman conceptions of angels, angel veneration, and how Christian authorities responded to this potentially heterodox aspect of Roman religion.
Edited by Sarah Blick & Laura D. Gelfand
Medieval and Renaissance viewers demanded art and architecture that provoked emotional and/or performative interactivity. The authors of these essays explore the history of this call and response from the view of both artists and devotees.
David M. Moffitt
Hebrews appears to have little interest in Jesus’ resurrection. Drawing on contemporary studies of Jewish sacrifice, Jewish apocalyptic literature, and fresh exegetical insights, this volume argues that Jesus’ resurrection forms the conceptual center of Hebrews’ Christological and soteriological ...
Edited by Volker Henning Drecoll and Margitta Berghaus
Focusing on Gregory's Trinitarian thought, his fascinating minor treatises are analysed in detail. Supporting studies deal with theological and philosophical concepts as well as with the context, e.g. his writings against Apolinarius.
Edited by Joseph Canning, Edmund King and Martial Staub
This collection of essays is based on a conference in honour of David Luscombe held at the University of Sheffield in September 2006 under the title "Knowledge, Discipline and Power in the Middle Ages."
Edited by Dagmar Schäfer
Identifying four spheres of knowledge culture in the history of technology in China, this book offers an introduction to the transmission of knowledge and detailed contextual descriptions of individual technologies in China such as porcelain, silk, and agriculture.
The focus of this study is coming of age in troubled Cultural Revolutionary times as portrayed in contemporary Chinese Bildungsroman fiction by Su Tong and Yu Hua, along with a comprehensive overview of the Bildungsroman in China and the west.
Using the concept of theatricality to study Water Margin and Journey to the West, this study illustrates how writing and reading in early modern China became fused with a theatrical imagination in response to destabilizing social and political forces.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Egyptology (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - History (2)
- Asian Studies - China (16)
- Asian Studies - General (1)
- Asian Studies - Japan (1)
- Asian Studies - Korea (1)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (2)
- Asian Studies - South East Asia (1)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (25)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (1)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (2)
- Biology - Biology & Environmental Sciences (2)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Philosophy (1)
- Classical Studies - General (3)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (3)
- History - Early Modern History (2)
- History - General (2)
- History - Intellectual History (7)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (5)
- History - Medieval History (24)
- History - Social History (1)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Health Law (1)
- International Law - International Law (3)
- International Law - Law of the Sea (2)
- International Law - Public International Law (4)
- International Relations - International Relations (2)
- Jewish Studies - General (3)
- Language and Linguistics - Languages of Asia & Central Asia (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Theoretical Linguistics (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (5)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (2)
- Religious Studies - Religion in Antiquity (1)
- Science - Psychology (1)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - History (4)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies - Human Rights & Law (1)
- Social Sciences - Asian Studies (1)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Critical Social Sciences (3)
- Social Sciences - Religion & Society (1)
- Social Sciences - Sociology & Anthropology (1)
- Theology and Missiology - General (1)
Availability: all » Available: Print on Demand
- History (41)
- Biblical Studies (28)
- Asian Studies (22)
- International Law (9)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies (9)
- Classical Studies (7)
- Social Sciences (7)
- Slavic and Eurasian Studies (5)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt (3)
- Jewish Studies (3)
- Religious Studies (3)
- Biology (2)
- International Relations (2)
- Language and Linguistics (2)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law (1)
- Science (1)
- Theology and Missiology (1)