Search: Available: Print on Demand, Book, history, of
Results 1 - 10 of 86
Edited by Craig Cooper
This volume represents the sixth in the series on Orality and Literacy in Ancient Greece and Rome. The present work comprises a collection of essays that explore the tensions and controversies that arise as society moves from an oral to literate culture.
Through the case studies of two Hungary born humanists, Johannes Sambucus and Andreas Dudith, this book explores the world of late-sixteenth century East Central European humanism, presenting the ways a scholarly culture became meaning and sellable for a wide group of learned elite.
edited by Johannes Hahn, Stephen Emmel & Ulrich Gotter
Destruction of temples and their transformation into churches are central symbols of change in religious environment, socio-political system, and public perception in late antiquity. Archaeologists, historians, and historians of religion seek an appropriate larger perspective on the phenomenon ...
Edited by Angelo Mazzocco
Authored by some of the most preeminent Renaissance scholars active today, this volume’s essays give fresh and illuminating analyses of important aspects of Renaissance humanism, including its origin, connection to the papal court and medieval traditions, classical learning, religious and ...
Edited by Alasdair A. MacDonald, Zweder R.W.M. von Martels and Jan R. Veenstra
This collection of new essays throws light on aspects of Christianity and Humanism and their mutual relations. The central focus is on the age of Renaissance and Reformation, and the contributions treat aspects of religion, history, philosophy, literature and education.
Martine Julia van Ittersum
An in-depth study of Hugo Grotius' involvement with the Dutch East India Company or VOC, this monograph uncovers the ideological origins of the First Dutch Empire, particularly the implications of Grotius’ rights theories for European merchants and their indigenous trading partners.
Edited by Patrick Gray and Gail R. O’Day
This volume contains twenty-two essays in honor of Carl R. Holladay, whose work on the interaction between early Christianity and Hellenistic Judaism has had a considerable impact on the study of the New Testament.
Edited by Anssi Voitila and Jutta Jokiranta
This collection of 46 essays in honour of Raija Sollamo illuminates the dynamic nature of scripture in the Second Temple Period. The Septuagint as the first biblical translation, the living traditions in the Hebrew scriptures, and the Dead Sea Scrolls are investigated to enrich our knowledge of ...
Edited by Géza G. Xeravits and József Zsengellér
The volume contains essays on various problems of the early Jewish works: the Books of the Maccabees. Authors include renowned international specialists in the literature and thinking of early Judaism.
Edited by Robert J. Bast
This book is the first major collection of articles by Berndt Hamm in English translation. The articles employ previously neglected sermons, devotional and pastoral treatises to reassess the question of continuity and change between late-medieval and Reformation theology and piety.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (2)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Authors, Texts, Literature (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Egyptology (1)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (2)
- Asian Studies - China (5)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (2)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (8)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (1)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (5)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (1)
- Biology - Ethology (1)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (1)
- Classical Studies - General (2)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (1)
- History - Early Modern History (6)
- History - General (3)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (2)
- History - Intellectual History (4)
- History - Medieval History (19)
- History - Modern History (2)
- International Law - Legal History (1)
- International Law - Public International Law (1)
- Jewish Studies - General (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (5)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (3)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (1)
- Religious Studies - Religion in Antiquity (1)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)