Search: Available: In Print
Availability: Available: In Print
Results 11 - 20 of 94
The first history of the Rashidi Ahmadiyya argues for a new explanation of the great Sufi revival of the eighteenth century, and also defines a new paradigm of development and change in Sufi orders.
This fascinating microhistory, crafted from documents and oral narratives, provides a rare portrait of pre-1950 rural Yemen while showing how religiously subordinated Jewish villagers strove to pursue their interests without forgoing the protection of the dominant Muslim majority.
Edited by Armando Salvatore and Dale F. Eickelman
This book shows how competing Islamic ideas and practices create alternative political and social realities in the Muslim majority regions of the Arab Middle East, Iran, South Asia, Africa, and elsewhere in ways that differ from the emergence of the public sphere in Europe.
Kemal H. Karpat
This book comprises a collection of articles and essays published in a variety of journals during the past decades covering the political, cultural and social developments in Turkey since 1960.
Edited by/Edité par Nadine Méouchy and/et Peter Sluglett with/avec la collaboration amicale de Gérard Khoury and/et Geoffrey Schad
This collection of thirty papers represents the first broad attempt to compares the application and effects of British and French mandatory rule on the newly-created states of Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine. Syria, Lebanon and Transjordan between the early 1920s and the late 1940s.
Toufic K. Gaspard
This book assesses the laissez-faire strategy for economic development, based on Lebanon’s unique experience during 1948-2002. It also analyzes the country’s industrialization performance, its monetary crisis in the mid-1980s, and the dynamics of the system from a Post-Keynesian perspective.
With its trans-historic and comprehensive annotated sources, this volume serves as a kaleidoscope through which the reader glimpses the shifting patterns of the private and the public lives of South Asian Muslim women and guides for further research and exploration.
This survey of more than one century of inner-Islamic ecumenical activities in modern times concentrates on the role of the Cairo-based Azhar University and its relations to Shiite scholars. Particular emphasis is laid on the mutual dependency of theology and politics in the modern Islamic ...
Dance and Authenticity is a fascinating parallel ethnography, showing how the ethnography of dance forms contributes to evolving notions of collective national and political identity in a context of unequal power.
This history of Hadhramaut in the 19th and 20th centuries shows the fascinating influence of diasporic merchants and scholars in the Indian Ocean on the evolution of their tribal homeland. It argues that international networks contributed to the formation of a modernity that was adapted to local ...
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (1)
- Asian Studies - General (4)
- Asian Studies - Religion (1)
- Asian Studies - South Asia (6)
- History - Economic History (1)
- International Law - Public International Law (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (11)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (5)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (34)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (1)
- Social Sciences - African Studies (2)
- Social Sciences - Asian Studies (19)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (3)
- Social Sciences - General (2)
- Social Sciences - Religion & Society (1)
Availability: all » Available: In Print
- Book (94)