Search: Available: In Print, German
Results 1 - 10 of 439
This book offers the first comprehensive collection and scholarly analysis of the Greek technopaignia (acrostics, anagrams, palindromes, pattern poems etc.) and discusses both their significance for the history of literature and their interaction with non-literary fields of ancient ...
This study investigates the reception of contemporary religion in Hellenistic poetry. Using the cult of Artemis as a paradigm, it analyses Callimachus’ and Theocritus’ references to contemporary religious phenomena and their contextualization and transformation in literature.
Michael von Albrecht
The medium of Seneca's Lebenskunst is language. We first change the meaning of words through philosophical reflection, then ourselves. Rhetorical patterns guide us in constructing an inner world and in defining ourselves. Texts in Latin and in translation document Seneca's seminal role in the ...
The present volume deals with Lucan's epic on the Civil War. It focuses on the main artistic principles of the poem, studying both the underlying history and its poetical reworking by the author.
A new critical edition plus commentary of famous papyrus fragments commonly ascribed to the archaic Greek poet Stesichoros. His 'Sack of Troy' and the 'Calydonian Boarhunt' are included.
Edited by Annette Harder, Remco Regtuit, Peter Stork, Gerry Wakker
This volume contains the collected articles of the Groningen Professor of Ancient Greek, Stefan Radt, and a survey of his publications. These articles, which show great philological acumen, are of considerable importance for the study of ancient Greek.
The book interprets all seven Sophoclean tragedies (5th century B.C.) as a whole, focussing on the aspect of individuals being guilty of not reaching proper conclusions about their own selves and their situation, although they possess the means and ability to do so.
Die Erzählung von Meleagros offers a detailed analysis of the origin and development of the myth of the Calydonian boar-hunt. It is the first complete presentation of all literary sources of the Calydonian hunt, as well as of other adventures of its central hero Meleagros. The myth started off ...
A close study of the Berlin Huguenot Refuge and its most famous figure, Jean Barbeyrac. Deeply rooted in the archives and full of new materials, it greatly clarifies the complicated relationship of Huguenot learning to cultural patronage, political cabals, theological disputes, and wider ...
Edited by Martin Mulsow, University of Erfurt and the Gotha Research Center for Early Modern Studies
Drawing on new manuscript sources, this volume offers seven contributions on Hermann Samuel Reimarus, the most significant biblical critic in eighteenth-century Germany, as well as an eminent Enlightenment philosopher, a renowned classicist, and expert on Judaism.
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (4)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Authors, Texts, Literature (2)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Codicology, Papyrology & Philology (2)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Egyptology (3)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - General (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - History (19)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Law (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Linguistics (3)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Philosophy, Science & Medicine (1)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt - Religion (1)
- Art and Architecture - Art History (1)
- Asian Studies - Central Asia (3)
- Asian Studies - China (2)
- Asian Studies - General (1)
- Asian Studies - Japan (6)
- Asian Studies - Religion (1)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (5)
- Biblical Studies - Dead Sea Scrolls (3)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (42)
- Biblical Studies - General (3)
- Biblical Studies - Gnosticism & Manichaeism (8)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (30)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (21)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (5)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Philosophy (6)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Science & Medicine (4)
- Classical Studies - General (20)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (15)
- Classical Studies - Religion (1)
- History - Early Modern History (31)
- History - General (29)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (3)
- History - Intellectual History (27)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (6)
- History - Medieval History (43)
- History - Modern History (1)
- International Law - International Law (1)
- Jewish Studies - General (8)
- Language and Linguistics - Dictionaries & Reference Works (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Indo-European Language & Linguistics (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Languages of Asia & Central Asia (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (9)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (13)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (4)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (23)
- Philosophy - Continental Philosophy (1)
- Philosophy - General (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (7)
- Religious Studies - Religion in Antiquity (4)
- Social Sciences - General (1)
Availability: all » Available: In Print
- History (140)
- Biblical Studies (112)
- Classical Studies (51)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies (50)
- Ancient Near East and Egypt (37)
- Asian Studies (13)
- Religious Studies (11)
- Jewish Studies (8)
- Language and Linguistics (3)
- Philosophy (2)
- Art and Architecture (1)
- International Law (1)
- Social Sciences (1)