Search: joseph, Book
Results 1 - 10 of 61
Timothy A. Joseph, The College of the Holy Cross
This book considers the Roman historian Tacitus’ (c. 55 – c. 120 C.E.) use of the language and narrative techniques of the epic poets, in particular Virgil and Lucan, for his presentation of the Roman civil wars of 68–70 C.E. in the Histories.
The statues of the Forum Augustum are analysed with respect to textual, archaeological and epigraphic evidence and are examined in terms of Greek and Roman influences, structure, composition and purpose. The final chapters consider later additions and the continuing impact of this group of statues.
Joseph A. Almeida
In an interdisciplinary approach, this book examines the meaning of dike or justice in Solon’ political poems from an interpretative perspective provided by the polis idea arising from the work of new classical archaeology.
Edited by Paul McKechnie
In this collection of essays, contributors act on John Crook's injunction to 'think like lawyers' about Roman law and Rome—and also ancient Greece, Persia, and the modern world. A literary strand runs through the book alongside its legal and historical strands.
John M. McMahon
This volume explores the literary representation of male sexual dysfunction and investigates how the natural and supernatural elements of an ancient folk medical system and the empowerment implicit in the text itself function in the Satyrica of Petronius.
Joseph F. Patrouch
This study seeks to examine a number of themes relating to the roles of the women's court of the central European Habsburgs. These include its role in helping consolidate their holdings in central Europe and the Holy Roman Empire and structure their relations with the rest of Europe.
Edited by Bart J. Koet, University of Tilburg, Steve Moyise, University of Chichester and Joseph Verheyden, Catholic University of Leuven
The Scriptures of Israel in Jewish and Christian Tradition is a collection of studies in honour of Professor Maarten J.J. Menken (Tilburg) and addresses questions of textual form, Jewish and Christian hermeneutics and notions of authority and inspiration.
edited by Tobias Nicklas, Joseph Verheyden, Erik M.M. Eynikel and Florentino García Martínez
Is there another, perhaps better world than the one where we live? Is there a future for us after death and how does it look like? The articles in this volume describe how ancient Jewish and Christian authors dealt with the above questions and what their answers had to do with their own life ...
Annewies van den Hoek & John J. Herrmann, Jr.
New perspectives are provided on late antique cults, popular entertainment, and the decoration of Christian churches through a fresh look at Christian writings, popular ceramics, and elite works of mosaic, metalwork, and marble sculpture.
Edited by Joseph Canning, Edmund King and Martial Staub
This collection of essays is based on a conference in honour of David Luscombe held at the University of Sheffield in September 2006 under the title "Knowledge, Discipline and Power in the Middle Ages."
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Art and Architecture - Art History (1)
- Asian Studies - China (1)
- Asian Studies - Japan (2)
- Biblical Studies - Biblical Interpretations (2)
- Biblical Studies - Dead Sea Scrolls (1)
- Biblical Studies - Early Church & Patristics (1)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (7)
- Biblical Studies - New Testament & Early Christian Writings (4)
- Biology - Zoology (2)
- Classical Studies - Ancient History (3)
- Classical Studies - Greek & Latin Literature (2)
- History - Early Modern History (2)
- History - History of Science & Medicine (1)
- History - Intellectual History (2)
- History - Medieval History (5)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Human Rights (1)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Humanitarian Law (1)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Minority & Group Rights (1)
- International Law - Air & Space Law (2)
- International Law - International Trade Law (1)
- International Law - Private International Law (1)
- International Law - Public International Law (1)
- Jewish Studies - General (2)
- Jewish Studies - History & Culture (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Discourse Analysis & Sociolinguistics (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Historical & Comparative Linguistics (1)
- Language and Linguistics - Theoretical Linguistics (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (2)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (1)
- Social Sciences - Applied Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Economics & Political Science (1)
- Social Sciences - Religion & Society (2)
- Theology and Missiology - General (1)
- Biblical Studies (15)
- History (10)
- Classical Studies (5)
- International Law (5)
- Social Sciences (5)
- Asian Studies (3)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law (3)
- Jewish Studies (3)
- Language and Linguistics (3)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies (3)
- Biology (2)
- Art and Architecture (1)
- Religious Studies (1)
- Theology and Missiology (1)