Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. With offices in Leiden (NL), Boston (US), Paderborn (GER) and Singapore (SG), Brill today publishes 272 journals and close to 1,200 new books and reference works each year, available in both print and electronic form. Brill also markets a large number of primary source research collections and databases. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars. Brill is a publicly traded company and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam NV.
For our Central Desk Editing Journals team we are looking for a:
Production Editor Journals (m/f)
full-time (36 hours p/kw)
Brill office in Leiden or Boston
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- You will contribute to our journal publication program by managing the workflow process from manuscript to publication within agreed timelines and publication schedules
- You will work closely with authors, freelancers and editorial boards and provide guidelines and guidance on Brill’s work flows and standards with regards to journal content processing (among others specs for illustrations, graphs, use of CMS Editorial Manager, typesetting, proofreading, industry standards and technical formats to apply, etc.)
- You will coordinate, manage and monitor work outsourced to freelancers or service providers
- You will liaise with colleagues of the teams of Production & Logistics and Platforms who are responsible for printing, binding, processing online content on Brill’s platforms and logistics regarding the production schedules and planning
- You are responsible for keeping the publication of the assigned journals on schedule and for maintaining accepted quality standards, as well as reporting deviations to the Team Leader Desk Editing Journals and the responsible Acquisitions Editors
- You are responsible for conscientious administration of the assigned journal projects in Brill’s central product information system Klopotek and our Journal CMS Editorial Manager
- You are a professionally trained, well-organized person that has an empathy with academic publishing
- Editorial knowledge and experience are absolutely required as is working knowledge of journal production
- You should have good computer skills, be able to manage multiple projects, be an effective communicator, work independently and be able to work well as part of a team
- Experience in working with Editorial Manager, or a similar is a strong advantage
- The job will require you to perform to a high standard, sometimes under pressure, and to respond efficiently, professionally, and courteously to all parties involved in the editorial process.
- Required language skills: English and (to a lesser extent) French and/or German.
Information you need to know before sending your application letter and resume:
The anticipated start date for this position is a.s.a.p. An online work related personality assessment (PAPI) may be part of the selection process.
Applications should be sent by email no later than Friday 3 February 2017 to Ms. Ina de Lange, HRM, email@example.com. Further information about this position can be obtained from Mr. Dick Kraaij, Team Leader CDE Journals, phone: 0715353423 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.