Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. With offices in Leiden (NL), Boston (US), Paderborn (GER) and Singapore (SG), Brill today publishes 272 journals and close to 1,200 new books and reference works each year, available in both print and electronic form. Brill also markets a large number of primary source research collections and databases. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars. Brill is a publicly traded company and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam NV.
For our CDE Books team we are looking for a:
Production Editor Books (m/f)
part-time (32 hours p/kw)
Brill office in Leiden
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- You will contribute to our book publication program by coordinating the workflow process from manuscript to publication within agreed timelines and according to publication schedules.
- You will work closely with authors, freelancers and provide guidelines and guidance on Brill’s workflows and standards with regards to book content processing (among others specs for illustrations, graphs, typesetting, proofreading, industry standards and application of technical formats, etc.).
- You will coordinate, manage and monitor work outsourced to freelancers or service providers.
- You will liaise with colleagues from the teams of Production & Logistics and Platforms, who are responsible for printing, binding, processing online content on Brill’s platforms, and logistics regarding the production schedules and planning.
- You are responsible for realizing the planning of assigned book-projects and for maintaining accepted quality standards, as well as for reporting deviations to the Team Leader CDE Books and the responsible Acquisitions Editors.
- You are responsible for conscientious administration of the assigned book projects in Brill’s central product information system Klopotek.
- You are a professionally trained, well-organized person, who has an empathy with academic publishing.
- Editorial knowledge and experience are absolutely required as is working knowledge of book production.
- You should have good computer skills, be able to manage multiple projects, be an effective communicator, work independently and be able to work well as part of a team.
- Experience in working with a Content Management System is a strong advantage.
- The job will require you to perform to a high standard, sometimes under pressure, and to respond efficiently, professionally and courteously to all parties involved in the editorial process.
- Required language skills: English. Skills in Chinese and other Asian languages is a strong advantage.
Information you need to know before sending your application letter and resume:
The anticipated start date for this position is a.s.a.p. An online work related personality assessment (PAPI) will be part of the selection process.
Applications in English should be sent by email no later than Friday 17 March 2017 to Ms. Ina de Lange, Human Resource Manager, email@example.com. Further information about this position can be obtained from Mrs. Ellen Girmscheid, Team Leader CDE Books, phone: 071 5353 406 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may find more information about our company and publication program on our website www.brill.com.