Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. With offices in Leiden (NL), Boston (US), Paderborn (GER) and Singapore (SG), Brill today publishes over 270 journals and close to 1,200 new books and reference works each year, available in both print and electronic formats. Brill also markets a large number of primary source research collections and databases. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars. Brill is a publicly traded company and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam NV.
For our Desk Editing Journals team we are looking for a:
Desk Editor Journals (m/f)
full-time (32-36 hours p/wk)
Brill office in Leiden or Boston
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- You will contribute to our journal publication program by managing the workflow process from manuscript to publication within agreed timelines and according to publication schedules.
- You will work closely with authors, freelancers and external editors and provide guidelines and guidance on Brill’s work flows and standards with regards to journal content processing (among others specs for illustrations, graphs, use of CMS Editorial Manager, typesetting, proofreading, industry standards and application of technical formats, etc.).
- You will coordinate, manage and monitor work outsourced to freelancers or service providers.
- You will liaise with colleagues from the teams of Production & Logistics and Platforms, who are responsible for printing, binding, processing online content on Brill’s platforms and logistics.
- You are responsible for keeping the publication of the assigned journals on schedule and for maintaining accepted quality standards, as well as for reporting deviations to the Team Leader Desk Editing Journals and the responsible Acquisitions Editors.
- You are responsible for conscientious administration of the assigned journal projects in Brill’s central product information system Klopotek and our Journal CMS Editorial Manager.
- You are a professionally trained, well-organized person who has an empathy with academic publishing.
- Editorial knowledge and experience are absolutely required as is working knowledge of journal production.
- You should have good computer skills, be able to manage multiple projects, be an effective communicator, work independently and be able to work well as part of a team.
- Experience in working with Editorial Manager, or similar CMSs is an advantage.
- The job will require you to perform to a high standard, sometimes under pressure, and to respond efficiently, professionally, and courteously to all parties involved in the editorial process.
- Required language skills: English and (to a lesser extent) French and/or German.
- A background in the field of sciences, particularly Biology, is an advantage.
Information you need to know before sending your application letter and resume:
The anticipated start date for this position is 1 November 2017. The first round of interviews will take place on Thursday 17 Augustus 2017 An online work related personality assessment (PAPI) may be part of the selection process.
Applications should be sent by email no later than day Thursday 10 August 2017 to Ms. Ina de Lange, Human Resource Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information about this position can be obtained from Mr. Dick Kraaij, Team Leader CDE Journals, email: email@example.com or Mr. Frans Havekes, Manager Content Processing, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note Mr. Kraaij will be on annual leave from July 18th until August 9th.
You may find more information about our company and publication program on our website brill.com.