Founded in 1683 in Leiden, the Netherlands, Brill is a leading international academic publisher in 20 main subject areas, including Middle East and Islamic Studies, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, History, Biblical and Religious Studies, Language & Linguistics, Biology, and International Law. With offices in Leiden (NL), Boston (US), Paderborn (GER) and Singapore (SG), Brill today publishes 272 journals and close to 1,200 new books and reference works each year, available in both print and electronic form. Brill also markets a large number of primary source research collections and databases. The company’s key customers are academic and research institutions, libraries, and scholars. Brill is a publicly traded company and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam NV.
For our publishing program Biblical Studies (part of publishing unit ARC) we are looking for an:
Assistant Editor (m/f)
part time: 32 hours p/wk
Brill office Leiden - NL
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist the Acquisitions Editor in the timely realization of the publishing program in order to meet revenue targets;
- Coordinate the review process to determine which manuscripts should be published, and calculate the publication cost-price;
- Follow-up contract proposals: draft contracts, send MQs (Manuscript Questionnaires) and AQs (Author’s Questionnaires) and keep track of them, maintain contact with third parties concerning subventions, rights, and permissions;
- Project manage all publications (books, journals or book series), including coordinating/ liaising with editorial boards, desk editors, project managers reference works, production coordinators, marketing department, and authors;
- Instruct authors, editors and other external parties on manuscript delivery in accordance with BRILL standard guidelines;
- Be responsible for hand-over of manuscripts/content to internal BRILL service departments in accordance with BRILL standard guidelines;
- Assist in preparing meetings with external parties and business trips for the Acquisitions Editor(s);
- Assist in preparing and planning conferences that will be attended by the Acquisitions Editor, among others: contacting conference organizer to book a booth and liaising with Marketing department about marketing materials and collateral for planned conferences;
- Conscientious administration of the publishers’ projects in Brill’s central product information system Klopotek.
- Professionally trained, well-organized person who has empathy with academic publishing;
- Excellent time management and project management skills;
- Hands-on mentality;
- Customer-focused and result-oriented;
- The job will require you to perform to a high standard, sometimes under pressure, and to respond efficiently, professionally, and courteously to all parties involved;
- Fluent command of the English language is an absolute necessity. Working knowledge of the French or German language is a strong advantage.
Information you need to know before sending your application letter and resume:
The anticipated start date for this position is a.s.a.p.
An online work related personality assessment (PAPI) may be part of the selection process.
Applications should be sent by email no later than Wednesday 22 March 2017 to Koninklijke Brill NV, attn. Ms. Ina de Lange, Human Resource Manager: email@example.com. Further information about this position can be obtained from Mrs. Loes Schouten, Publishing Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our company and publication program, please visit www.brill.com.